Support for you now in the Falkland Islands
If you have a lot on your mind, if you need to talk to someone any time of the day or night, you can call the Samaritans, UK, by dialing the local number 51515.
If you have a landline, this is FREE, as Team Tranquil will cover the full cost of the call.
If you have a mobile phone, you will be charged 10 per minute, the local rate, not the international call rate.
This service is not for someone else, it's for you.
Team Tranquil Activities
- Team Trannquil fundraise annually for local projects like bringing the Samaritan to the islands to train local people in counselling skills and by doing so raise mental health awareness.
- We provide support for carers, i.e. fund a sitting service allowing carers some well needed relaxation and recreation time.
- Team Tranquil take part in the annual World Mental Health Day campaign on 10th October, with health promotion activities.
- We join in local events like the Cape Pembroke half marathon and the Craftathon. By participation supporting other local charities and organisations within the islands.
- We work side by side with local services on community projects e.g. providing seating , shelter and privacy within the local cemetery in Stanley.
- We provide materials for the painting of the Camber stones, a local memorial and landmark.
- Team Tranquil participate in other projects like the Human Rights awareness raising campaign, Building Human Rights Capacity in the British Overseas Territories, promoting greater awareness of human rights within the Falkland Islands in a way that people can understand.
- We help to organise Winter Workshops where people can learn something new, or brush up on existing skills. There are many activities to choose from in Camp and in Stanley. Volunteers give their time and skills for free, all activities are free to attend. Team Tranquil help co-ordinate activities and help provide materials or fund transport costs for activity leaders if these are required.
- If you have participated in an event, any donations to Team Tranquil are always welcome to help cover out going costs, contact Ruth on 22169.
Winter Workshops 2012:
This year the Crafty Old Travellers, namely Heather, Myra and Wendy, kicked off our winter workshops with a successful tour of the West in March 2012. With over 30 people taking part so far and yet a few more places and people to visit in the pipeline, the Travellers have more ideas and enthusism to share.
Next followed the Butchery Skills workshop with Ricky, kindly hosted by Helen and Leon in Fox Bay. A brilliant turn out and BBQ had by all. Thanks to everyone who participated in making this a great day out.
The West will also see Mim & Ken with a Sewing Machine and Handyman workshop and Richard with a painting workshop too.
Pie and pastry making will take place in Stanley with Anita, also a Meditation workshop with Sara.
A Dance workshop will take place on Saturday 9th June 2012 at 2pm till 5pm, in Stanley Town Hall. Try some old favourite traditional dances, or Scottish dances with Derek and Sue, or some line dances with Val and the gang, also this year we will have some Modern Jive to try and a display of traditional Chilean dancing by Ricardo and Claudia. Free to all, open to all ages, refreshments will be on sale. Please join us for a fun active afternoon.
These are just some of the activities available this year. Please check the Penquin News for details.
If you have got any great ideas to share please contact Ruth on 22169.
The Winter Workshops are a community activity for us and by us. Team Tranquil help to co-ordinate the activities, support our volunteer activity leaders to get to their destinations, help with resources if required and help advertise the events. Everything else is down to good will and generosity by people of the Falkland Islands community.
If you have enjoyed a workshop tell us about it, if you have some photos to share we can put them on this website.
If you want to get involved in Team Tranquil let us know too. Or, helping us to co-ordinate workshops would be great.
If you have an interest or would like to share an idea contact Team Tranqil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to view articles on mental health..